Lesson Plan: Electronic Configurations Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write electronic configurations for atoms or ions and identify an atom from its electronic configuration.
Students will be able to
- write the electronic configuration for an atom,
- identify the electronic configuration of an atom from diagrams,
- identify the atom from written or pictorial representations of its electronic configuration,
- relate chemical reactivity to an atom’s electronic configuration,
- describe how atoms with 8 electrons in the outer energy level are often inert and do not react chemically.
Students should already be familiar with
- energy levels.
Students will not cover
- electronic configuration of transition metals.