Lesson Plan: Estimating the Product of Two Decimals Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use rounding and compatible numbers to estimate the product of two decimal numbers.
Students will be able to
- estimate the product of a pair of decimals between 0 and 100 with up to two decimal places by rounding one or both to the nearest whole number or 10,
- estimate the product of a pair of decimals between 0 and 100 with up to two decimal places using compatible numbers,
- use estimation to check the reasonableness of a decimal multiplication.
Students should already be familiar with
- rounding decimals to the nearest whole number,
- rounding integers to the nearest 10, 100, or 1 000,
- multiplication facts up to ,
- multiplying by a two-digit number, including by a multiple of 10.
Students will not cover
- multiplying decimals where the product is a number with more than three decimal places.