Lesson Plan: Evaluating Series Algebraically Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to evaluate linear and quadratic series by applying algebraic methods and formulas.
Students will be able to
- identify whether a given series is arithmetic (linear) or quadratic,
- recognize and understand the derivation of the summation formulas for arithmetic (linear) and quadratic series,
- use summation formulas to find the values of finite arithmetic (linear) and quadratic series.
Students should already be familiar with
- series expressed using sigma notation.
Students will not cover
- evaluating cubic or higher-order series,
- evaluating geometric series,
- evaluating infinite series,
- recurrence relations,
- general methods for telescoping series.