Lesson Plan: Trigonometric Ratios on the Unit Circle Mathematics • 10th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to relate the 𝑥- and 𝑦-coordinates of points on the unit circle to trigonometric functions.
Students will be able to
- understand that the coordinates of points on the unit circle can be written in terms of and ,
- evaluate , , and given a point on the unit circle that the terminal side of passes through,
- understand the definitions of the reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- evaluate , , and given a point on the unit circle that the terminal side of passes through.
Students should already be familiar with
- angles in standard position,
Students will not cover
- signs of trigonometric functions in quadrants,
- evaluating trigonometric functions at angles that are not , , , or ,
- inverse trigonometric functions.