Lesson Plan: Reading Clocks: Nearest Minute Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to tell the time in digits to the nearest minute.
Students will be able to
- read the time to the nearest minute shown on an analog clock or a digital clock,
- write in digits the time to the nearest minute shown on an analog clock or described in words,
- correctly position the hands on analog clocks to show times to the nearest minute,
- recognize times expressed in more than one way (for example, 12:35 or 25 to 1),
- identify errors when telling the time digitally,
- solve word problems that involve telling time in digits to the nearest minute.
Students should already be familiar with
- telling the time to five minutes on digital clocks,
- recording the time to the nearest five minutes in digits,
- telling the time to the nearest minute using words,
- the number of minutes in an hour.
Students will not cover
- use of am/pm,
- 24-hour clock times.