Lesson Plan: Line Graphs Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to draw line graphs showing continuous data over time and use them to read trends and answer questions.
Students will be able to
- draw a line graph by plotting data and joining data points with line segments,
- decide on appropriate scales when drawing line graphs,
- describe trends on line graphs and predict future data,
- solve comparison, sum, and difference problems using line graphs.
Students should already be familiar with
- bar graphs,
- plotting ordered pairs.
Students will not cover
- data outside of the first quadrant,
- line graphs other than time graphs,
- double line graphs.