Lesson Plan: Using Classification Keys Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use classification keys to identify and group a variety of living things.
Students will be able to
- know that a huge number of different kinds of animals and plants exist,
- understand that classification keys can be used to group and find out the names of different animals and plants,
- use classification keys, including number keys and branching keys, to identify living things from a range of different environments.
Students should already be familiar with
- the idea that living things can be grouped according to their features,
- the meaning of the terms vertebrates and invertebrates,
- some common animals that are vertebrates and some that are invertebrates.
Students will not cover