Lesson Plan: Natural Selection Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the process of natural selection in organisms and explain how natural selection benefits organisms and leads to their evolution.
Students will be able to
- state that natural selection, which is the process by which species change over time, is a theory proposed by Charles Darwin,
- recall that the organisms that are best adapted to their environment will survive and reproduce,
- describe the process of natural selection in a population, giving or interpreting examples,
- recall that all living organisms have evolved from a common ancestor (a unicellular organism).
Students should already be familiar with
- basic knowledge of genes and inheritance.
Students will not cover
- other theories of evolution.