Lesson Plan: Multiplying Decimals by Whole Numbers: The Column Method Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to record multiplication of a decimal with a whole number in columns and correctly place the decimal point in the answer.
Students will be able to
- use columns to multiply numbers up to 100 with 1 or 2 decimal places by one-digit whole numbers,
- correctly place the decimal point in a product.
Students should already be familiar with
- place value models for multiplying whole numbers by decimals,
- using column multiplication to multiply whole numbers.
Students will not cover
- multiplying by two-digit and three-digit whole numbers,
- multiplying by thousandths.