Lesson Plan: Rounding to the Nearest Hundred Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to round a whole number within 1,000 to the nearest hundred by identifying the hundreds numbers it is between on a number line or by considering the value of the tens digit.
Students will be able to
- say which two multiples of one hundred a given three-digit number lies between,
- round a three-digit number to the nearest hundred using a number line,
- round a three-digit number to the nearest hundred by considering the value of the tens digit,
- say which numbers would round to a given value.
Students should already be familiar with
- the place value of three-digit numbers,
- representing three-digit numbers on number lines.
Students will not cover
- rounding to the nearest ten,
- rounding numbers greater than 1,000.