Lesson Plan: Nonunit Fractions for Halves, Thirds, and Quarters Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to draw, name, and write nonunit fractions to name halves, thirds, and quarters or fourths of a shape using fraction notation.
Students will be able to
- understand that means parts out of a total of parts of a whole,
- write nonunit fractions for halves, fourths or quarters, or thirds,
- create a fraction that shows a nonunit fraction involving halves, thirds, or quarters,
- use the terms numerator and denominator correctly.
Students should already be familiar with
- unit fractions,
- writing fractions using the correct notation,
- halves, thirds, and quarters or fourths of shapes.
Students will not cover
- fractions on number lines,
- equivalent fractions,
- fractions of numbers or amounts,
- mixed numbers,
- improper fractions,
- any fractions other than halves, thirds, and quarters,
- simplifying fractions (e.g., shown as ).