Lesson Plan: What Are Minerals? Geology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define what minerals are, their uses, and how they are formed and identify the chemical groups that form some of them.
Students will be able to
- define what a mineral is and recognize how minerals form,
- identify the uses of minerals throughout time,
- define what a rock is and the difference between monomineralic and polymineralic rocks,
- identify the most abundant elements in Earth’s crust,
- recognize the most common rock-forming mineral groups.
Students will not cover
- chemical bonds or atomic structures of minerals.