Lesson Plan: Reverse Engineering Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use reverse engineering to develop solutions with multiple parts and calculate the costs involved in the process.
Students will be able to
- define reverse engineering,
- identify the steps of reverse engineering,
- apply the process of reverse engineering to solve a problem,
- apply the engineering design process steps to solve a problem,
- identify “test” as a step of the engineering design process,
- calculate the cost of the materials needed to build a solution.
Students should already be familiar with
- the engineering design process,
- multiplication of one-digit numbers,
- motion and magnetism.
Students will not cover
- differences between the engineering design process and the scientific method.