Lesson Plan: Finding the Magnitude of a Vector Physics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the magnitude of a vector given its horizontal and vertical components.
Students will be able to
- work out the magnitude of a vector given in component form using notation,
- work out the magnitude of a vector shown on a grid.
Students should already be familiar with
- what vectors are,
- the Pythagorean theorem.
Students will not cover
- finding the components of a vector given its magnitude and argument,
- vector addition or subtraction,
- non-Euclidean geometries,
- vectors in three dimensions.