Lesson Plan: Differentiation of Trigonometric Functions Mathematics • Higher Education
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the derivatives of trigonometric functions and how to apply the differentiation rules on them.
Students will be able to
- find the differentials of trigonometric functions from first principles,
- evaluate the differential of a given trigonometric function at a point,
- apply the product, quotient, and chain rules for differentiation to trigonometric functions,
- find consecutive derivatives of sine and cosine.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept of differentiation,
- the limit definition of a derivative,
- the chain, product, and quotient rules,
- the trigonometric compound angle identities.
Students will not cover
- differentiation of reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- differentiation of inverse trigonometric functions,
- integrating trigonometric functions,
- higher derivatives of trigonometric functions other than sine and cosine.