Lesson Plan: Graphs of Inverses of Functions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use a graph to find the inverse of a function and analyze the graphs for the inverse of a function.
Students will be able to
- understand that the graph of a function and the graph of its inverse are reflections in the line ,
- identify the graph of the inverse of a function when given the function graph,
- sketch the graph of the inverse of a function when given a function graph,
- identify whether the inverse of a function is itself a function,
- find the points of intersection of the graph of the inverse of a function and the or ,
- find the coordinates of the intersection points of the graph of a function and its inverse.
Students should already be familiar with
- the definition of a function,
- domain and range,
- one-to-one functions,
- the vertical and horizontal line tests.
Students will not cover
- finding the inverse of a function algebraically.