Lesson Plan: Comparing Fractions with Different Wholes Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare unit fractions that have different-sized wholes.
Students will be able to
- use pictures to compare two unit fractions that have wholes of different sizes,
- compare two unit fractions that have different-sized wholes without the use of pictures,
- explain how the size of the wholes affects the size of the unit fractions of the wholes,
- solve word problems involving fractions of different-sized wholes.
Students should already be familiar with
- how to read and write fractions written using word form,
- how to read and write fractions written using numbers,
- unit fractions.
Students will not cover
- denominators greater than 12,
- comparing fractions with different denominators,
- comparing fractions with different numerators,
- ordering fractions,
- nonunit fractions,
- finding fractions of amounts.