Lesson Plan: Converting Decimals to Fractions Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write decimals as fractions with a denominator of 10, 100, or 1,000.
Students will be able to
- convert decimals to fractions in their simplest form,
- convert decimals to improper fractions and mixed numbers in their simplest form,
- use place value tables and counters to represent decimals and fractions,
- use number lines to convert between a decimal and a fraction.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplying and dividing whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100, or 1,000,
- converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions,
- how to simplify fractions when the denominator is a multiple of ten, one hundred, or one thousand.
Students will not cover
- working with integers greater than 100 or numbers with more than three decimal places.