Lesson Plan: Second- and Higher-Order Derivatives Mathematics • Higher Education
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find second- and higher-order derivatives of a function including using differentiation rules.
Students will be able to
- understand that the derivative of a function can itself be differentiated to form a higher-order derivative of the original function,
- understand and use the notation for higher-order derivatives, including prime notation and derivative notation,
- find the second-, third-, and higher-order derivatives for a function,
- find the value of the second-, third-, and higher-order derivatives of a function at a given point.
Students should already be familiar with
- first derivatives,
- the rules of differentiation (product, quotient, chain, etc.).
Students will not cover
- implicit differentiation.