Lesson Plan: Graphing Polar Curves Mathematics • 12th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to plot and draw graphs of equations in polar form and identify classical shapes in polar form, such as circles, cardioids, and roses.
Students will be able to
- identify the equations and graphs of and sketch the graphs of special types of polar graphs,
- sketch the graphs of polar equations by
- plotting points,
- using symmetry,
- identify and find maximum and minimum -values from polar equations,
- identify or describe the polar equation of a given special type of polar graph,
- apply this knowledge to real-world problems to find polar equations representing, or sketch polar graphs of, a real-life phenomenon.
Students should already be familiar with
- polar coordinates,
- parametric equations.
Students will not cover
- converting polar equations into rectangular form.