Lesson Plan: Angles of Intersecting Lines in a Circle Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the measures of angles resulting from the intersection of two chords, two secants, two tangents, or tangents and secants in a circle.
Students will be able to
- recall and apply the theorems for an intersecting tangent and secant, two intersecting secants, and two intersecting tangents,
- recall theorems for two or more intersecting chords, and intersecting chords and tangents, including where a radius meets a tangent,
- find unknown angle measures and lengths by applying these theorems,
- solve problems that require the application of multiple theorems, including applied problems that require the forming and solving of equations.
Students should already be familiar with
- measures of arcs,
- forming and solving equations,
- inscribed angles.
Students will not cover
- problems that require the use of trigonometry,
- special segments of circles.