Lesson Plan: Comparing and Ordering Unit Fractions Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare and order unit fractions.
Students will be able to
- compare unit fraction models,
- compare unit fractions using and ,
- solve word problems related to comparing unit fractions,
- order unit fractions from least to greatest and greatest to least,
- identify that the larger the denominator is, the smaller the fractional part is (when comparing unit fractions).
Students should already be familiar with
- unit fractions,
- comparing and ordering whole numbers,
- the symbols that represent “greater than” and “less than”,
- dividing a number line into equal parts,
- fractions on a number line.
Students will not cover
- comparing and ordering fractions with a numerator other than 1,
- comparing and ordering fractions with the same denominator.