Lesson Plan: Small Angle Approximations Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to approximate trigonometric functions when the angle of the function is close to zero.
Students will be able to
- approximate , , and when is close to zero radians,
- use the small angle approximations of the trigonometric functions to approximate the values of trigonometric expressions,
- calculate the percentage error when approximating a trigonometric function using the small angle approximations,
- use the small angle approximations of the trigonometric functions to prove trigonometric proofs.
Students should already be familiar with
- simplifying algebraic expressions,
- graphs of trigonometric functions.
Students will not cover
- reciprocal trigonometric functions.