Lesson Plan: Features of Quadratic Functions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the features of a quadratic function, such as its vertex, extrema, axis of symmetry, domain, and range.
Students will be able to
- find the key features of a quadratic equation from its equation or graph, including its intercepts, vertex, axis of symmetry, domain, and range,
- understand that quadratics are symmetric in the vertical line through their vertex,
- understand that the sign of the leading coefficient tells us the type of extrema that the quadratic function will have,
- recall and apply the formula for the axis of symmetry using the coefficients of the quadratic.
Students should already be familiar with
- graphing quadratic functions,
- the domain and range.
Students will not cover
- solving quadratic equations graphically,
- the vertex form of a quadratic and completing the square.