Lesson Plan: Multiplying Mixed Numbers: Area Models Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the product of two mixed numbers using area models and relate the numerator and denominator of the product to those of the factors.
Students will be able to
- draw models to represent mixed numbers,
- multiply two mixed numbers together using area models,
- solve problems involving multiplying mixed numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- modeling mixed numbers,
- decomposing mixed numbers,
- simplifying fractions.
Students will not cover
- multiplying mixed numbers without models.