Lesson Plan: Dividing a Three-Digit Number by a One-Digit Number: Area Models Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide three-digit numbers by one-digit numbers by breaking the numbers apart and using the distributive property.
Students will be able to
- model the division of a three-digit number by a one-digit number using an area model,
- use the distributive property to partition the dividend and calculate partial quotients,
- choose the most appropriate ways to partition the dividend,
- divide three-digit numbers by one-digit numbers using written methods.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication and division facts within the times tables up to ,
- multiplying and dividing by multiples of 10 and 100.
Students will not cover
- the long division method,
- dividing by two-digit numbers,
- dividing numbers with more than three digits,
- divisions with remainders.