Lesson Plan: Introduction to Hypothesis Testing Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use hypothesis testing to assess claims about population parameters.
Students will be able to
- distinguish between the null hypothesis and the alternative hypothesis ,
- identify the population parameter and test statistic from a given scenario,
- write appropriate null and alternative hypotheses to assess a statistical claim,
- distinguish between one- and two-tailed tests,
- understand how the significance level of the test affects the likelihood of rejecting the null hypothesis,
- understand the conclusion of a hypothesis test,
- identify the critical region corresponding to the rejection of the null hypothesis with a given significance level,
- identify the actual significance level of the test.
Students should already be familiar with
- sampling methods,
- binomial distribution.
Students will not cover
- sampling distribution,
- type I vs. type II errors,
- hypothesis tests on means,
- hypothesis tests on proportions following nonbinomial distributions.