Lesson Plan: Reciprocals Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the reciprocal (or multiplicative inverse) of an integer, a fraction, a mixed number, or a decimal.
Students will be able to
- understand what the reciprocal of a number is,
- find the reciprocal of an integer,
- recall how to find the reciprocal of a fraction,
- find the reciprocal of a mixed number,
- find the reciprocal of the result for a given calculation.
Students should already be familiar with
- operations with fractions (including dividing by fractions by multiplying by their reciprocals),
- converting between fractions and decimals.
Students will not cover
- reciprocals of numbers involving surds,
- finding the reciprocal of an algebraic expression.