Lesson Plan: Quadrilaterals and their Properties Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to classify different quadrilaterals and recognize their geometric properties.
Students will be able to
- recall the different types of triangles (scalene, right, isosceles, and equilateral) and their properties,
- identify the geometric properties of angles, sides, and diagonals in different types of quadrilaterals, namely, squares, rectangles, rhombuses, parallelograms, trapezoids, kites, and arrowheads, using the properties of triangles,
- classify different types of quadrilaterals according to the geometric properties of their angles, sides, and diagonals.
Students should already be familiar with
- types of angles,
- triangles and their properties,
- identifying geometric information about parallel, perpendicular, and congruent lines from a diagram.
Students will not cover
- the sum of the angles in a quadrilateral,
- areas and perimeters of quadrilaterals,
- exterior angle properties,
- symmetry in quadrilaterals,
- cyclic quadrilaterals.