Lesson Plan: Analyzing Combination Circuits Physics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine the currents through and voltages across parts of circuits that contain resistors both in series and parallel.
Students will be able to
- determine the characteristics of circuits containing resistors with both series and parallel combinations by calculating the equivalent resistance of circuit branches,
- use Kirchhoff’s laws to calculate currents in circuit branches where currents cannot be calculated using equivalent resistance methods.
Students should already be familiar with
- Ohm’s law,
- the fact that in series,
- the fact that in parallel,
- Kirchhoff’s first and second laws applied to simple circuits.
Students will not cover
- components other than batteries and resistors,
- alternating current.