Lesson Plan: Luminosity
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the flux density due to the energy radiated by a star at a given distance away from the star.
Students will be able to
- recall what the units of luminosity are,
- recall what the units of flux density are,
- use in all permutations to calculate the flux density of light from a star, the distance to the star, or the luminosity of the star,
- use , the luminosity of the Sun, as a unit of luminosity.
Students should already be familiar with
- the astronomical units (AU).
Students will not cover
- brightness magnitude.