Lesson Plan: Moment of a Force about a Point in 2D: Scalar Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the sum of moments of a group of forces acting on a body about a point in 2D.
Students will be able to
- understand that the moment of force is a measure of its tendency to cause a body to rotate about a specific point,
- understand that if the line of action of a force passes through a point, the force does not give rise to a moment about that point,
- calculate the moment of a force about a point,
- calculate the moment of the sum of a system of forces about a point,
- understand that the counterclockwise direction is defined as positive for moments.
Students should already be familiar with
Students will not cover
- 3D systems,
- center of mass,