Lesson Plan: Slopes and Intercepts of Linear Functions Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify slopes and intercepts of linear functions algebraically.
Students will be able to
- calculate the gradient of a line passing through two points using the formula ,
- find a point on a line given another point on the line and the gradient,
- convert between the slope–intercept form of a line and the general form ,
- use the equation of a line in the form or to identify the gradient and intercepts of the line.
Students should already be familiar with
- rearranging equations,
- lines and the intersection points of lines.
Students will not cover
- the equation of a line in the form ,
- finding the equation of a line passing through two points,
- parallel and perpendicular lines.