Lesson Plan: Moles Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define the mole in terms of Avogadro’s constant and convert the mass of a substance to an amount of moles.
Students will be able to
- define what the mole is and state its relationship to Avogadro’s number,
- express the relationship between molecular mass, Avogadro’s number, and number of moles,
- identify the units of molecular mass, Avogadro’s constant, and number of moles,
- identify that one mole of any substance contains the same number of entities,
- calculate the mass of a compound based on the number of moles it contains.
Students should already be familiar with
- formula mass.
Students will not cover
- molar concentrations,
- molar gas volumes,
- percentage composition.