Lesson Plan: Indefinite Integrals: The Power Rule Mathematics • 12th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the indefinite integrals of polynomials and general power functions using the power rule for integration.
Students will be able to
- understand the properties of indefinite integrals, where the integrand
- is a sum of functions: ,
- contains a constant multiple: ,
- perform indefinite integrals using the power rule, including
- polynomial functions,
- reciprocal functions,
- radical functions,
- understand that the general solution to an indefinite integral involves a constant of integration, often denoted .
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept of antiderivatives,
- the power rule of differentiation.
Students will not cover
- definite integrals,
- integrals that would result in logarithms,
- integrating rational functions that cannot be simplified,
- integration by substitution.