Lesson Plan: Angular Momentum in Terms of Moment of Inertia Physics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the angular momentum of an object that is rotating from its moment of inertia.
Students will be able to
- use to calculate the angular momentum of an object from its moment of inertia and its angular speed,
- use and to find the angular momentum of an object,
- recall that the moment of inertia for angular dynamics is analogous to the mass in linear dynamics.
Students should already be familiar with
- how to calculate the moment of inertia of some simple shapes,
- how to calculate the angular velocity of an object.
Students will not cover
- calculating the angular momentum from the linear momentum,
- the conservation of angular momentum.