Lesson Plan: Altitudes of Triangles Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to draw, define, and solve problems involving altitudes of triangles.
Students will be able to
- define the altitudes of triangles,
- draw altitudes of triangles,
- identify the characteristics of the altitudes of different types of triangles,
- solve problems involving altitudes of triangles.
Students should already be familiar with
- right, obtuse, and acute triangles,
- the fact that perpendicular lines meet at right angles,
- terms for triangles such as vertex and side.
Students will not cover
- altitudes of shapes other than triangles,
- formulas for calculating the lengths of altitudes,
- using altitudes to calculate the area of a triangle.