Lesson Plan: Electrons and Energy Levels Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe and identify energy levels in atoms and determine the number of electrons each energy level can contain.
Students will be able to
- explain what energy levels in an atom are,
- identify the energy level by its number and letter symbol,
- describe electrons and how they move around the nucleus in energy levels,
- describe how electrons can transfer between energy levels,
- state how many electrons can be found in each energy level,
- recall that quantum is the amount of energy needed from an electron to transfer between energy levels,
- define the terms excited and ground state.
Students should already be familiar with
- the atom.
Students will not cover
- electronic configuration,
- absorption or emission spectra.