Lesson Plan: Halves and Quarters Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to explore the equivalence of one-half and two-quarters, understand that there are more quarters than halves in a whole, and find out how the number of shares affects the size of the equal parts.
Students will be able to
- recognize that there are more quarters, or fourths, in a whole than halves,
- recognize that a quarter, or fourth, is a smaller part than a half,
- use models to show that two-quarters is equivalent to one-half.
Students should already be familiar with
- recognizing and drawing halves and quarters, or fourths,
- the number of halves or quarters that make a whole.
Students will not cover
- using fraction notation.