Lesson Plan: Fractional Distillation of Crude Oil Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe the use of fractional distillation in separating crude oil and identify the properties and uses of key fractions.
Students will be able to
- define fractional distillation in the context of crude oil,
- describe crude oil and its general properties,
- explain how fractional distillation separates the different components of crude oil,
- describe and compare properties of crude oil fractions in order to explain their various uses.
Students should already be familiar with
- simple organic compounds such as alkanes.