Lesson Plan: Front-End Estimation Strategy: Two-Digit Numbers Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to estimate the sum and difference of two two-digit numbers using the front-end estimation strategy.
Students will be able to
- identify the digit with the highest place value in a two-digit number,
- round two digits to the highest place value,
- estimate the sum of two-digit numbers by rounding to the highest place value,
- estimate the differences between two-digit numbers by rounding to the highest place value,
- reflect on the accuracy of using the front-end estimation strategy.
Students should already be familiar with
- place values of two-digit numbers,
- multiples of 10,
- addition and subtraction of two-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- three-digit front-end estimation,
- other estimation strategies.