Lesson Plan: Translations on a Coordinate Plane Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to translate points, line segments, and shapes on the coordinate plane.
Students will be able to
- understand the coordinate transformation that represents a translation,
- translate points, line segments, and shapes on the coordinate plane given the coordinate transformation of the translation,
- translate points, line segments, and shapes on the coordinate plane given the magnitude and direction of the translation,
- convert a translation given as a magnitude and direction to the equivalent coordinate transformation and vice versa and describe a coordinate translation in words,
- understand the properties of translation in the coordinate plane.
Students should already be familiar with
- translating points, line segments, and shapes by constructing parallel lines.
Students will not cover
- combining transformations,
- translations that are not in the coordinate plane,