Lesson Plan: Meiosis
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to explain the role of meiosis in the formation of gametes.
Students will be able to
- recall that DNA in human cells is found in the form of chromosomes,
- define the terms haploid (n) and diploid (2n),
- explain the role of meiosis in the formation of gametes,
- understand that half the chromosomes in a zygote are inherited from the father and half from the mother,
- explain the importance of gametes being haploid when combining to form a zygote,
- recall that a zygote will divide by mitosis to form a new organism.
Students should already be familiar with
- humans having specialized sex cells (gametes) that combine during fertilization,
- mitosis as the process of cell division that forms two identical daughter cells.
Students will not cover
- the detailed stages of meiosis,
- the process of fertilization.