Lesson Plan: Properties of Addition and Subtraction Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the properties of addition and subtraction we use to solve problems with numbers up to 100.
Students will be able to
- identify the commutative property,
- identify the associative property,
- identify the additive identity property,
- apply the properties of addition to solve calculations,
- recognize which properties of addition can be applied to subtraction.
Students should already be familiar with
- strategies for finding sums and differences,
- reading two-digit numbers using place value.
Students will not cover
- sums and differences involving numbers greater than 99,
- sums and differences involving fractions or decimals.