Lesson Plan: Estimating Quotients: Two-Digit Divisors Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use compatible numbers to estimate the quotient when the divisor is a two-digit number.
Students will be able to
- use basic multiplication and division facts to find the two values that the quotient is between,
- use basic facts to estimate the quotient,
- discuss the accuracy of estimates,
- use estimation to state whether an answer is reasonable.
Students should already be familiar with
- using compatible numbers to estimate sums, differences, and products.
Students will not cover
- finding the quotient.