Lesson Plan: Biomass in Ecosystems Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to construct pyramids of biomass and calculate the efficiency of biomass transfers.
Students will be able to
- describe and construct pyramids of biomass,
- explain how biomass is lost between levels due to some material not being digested, waste formation, and respiration,
- calculate the efficiency of biomass transfers between trophic levels and explain how this affects the number of organisms on each trophic level.
Students should already be familiar with
- the organization in an ecosystem,
- consumption behavior in a food chain.