Lesson Plan: Thermal Expansion of Solids and Liquids Physics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the linear and volumetric expansion of solids and liquids due to change in their temperatures.
Students will be able to
- relate the change in temperature of a long, thin, solid object to the linear thermal expansion of the object using the equation , where is the coefficient of linear thermal expansion,
- relate the change in temperature of a solid object to the volumetric thermal expansion of the object using the equation , where is the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion,
- describe qualitatively how interactions between particles in water affect the variation in density of water between a temperature of and .
Students should already be familiar with
- qualitative descriptions of interactions between particles in a liquid and in a solid.
Students will not cover
- thermal expansion of gases.