Lesson Plan: Slope and Rate of Change Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to interpret the slope of a straight line as the rate of change of two quantities.
Students will be able to
- recall the formula for calculating the slope of a straight line,
- understand how slope is related to the rate of change of two quantities,
- calculate the rate of change of two quantities in a linear relationship
- two points that the line passes through,
- an input–output table,
- a graph,
- determine whether a slope is positive, negative, 0, or undefined,
- compare multiple linear relationships and their rates of change.
Students should already be familiar with
- linear equations, functions, and graphs,
- identifying whether a relationship is linear.
Students will not cover
- the relationship between slopes of parallel and perpendicular lines,
- equations of lines.