Lesson Plan: Equal Sets Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify equal sets and use their equality to find the value of unknown elements.
Students will be able to
- understand that two sets are equal when they have the same elements,
- identify when sets are equal,
- find the missing element in a set given that two sets are equal.
Students should already be familiar with
- using the listing method and the description method to express sets,
- the role of elements in a set, including the notations and .
Students will not cover
- intersections or unions of sets with the notation or ,
- subsets of sets with the notation or ,
- the difference between sets,
- the complement of a set,
- the universal set,
- the sets , , , and ,
- negative numbers, fractions, or decimals,
- evaluating algebraic expressions.