Lesson Plan: Adding Mixed Numbers with Like Denominators Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies to add two mixed numbers with the same denominator.
Students will be able to
- model the addition of mixed numbers with bar models and number lines,
- break apart mixed numbers and add the whole number parts and the fraction parts separately,
- add mixed numbers by writing them as improper fractions,
- choose strategies to add mixed numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions,
- simplifying fractions.
Students will not cover
- adding mixed numbers with different denominators.